Disable Right Click

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs and Glen Canyon

When I arrived back in town Jason and I made a stop at the visitor center. I was able to get directions to the rangers station in Glen Canyon Utah. 





While researching for our trip I had found the most beautiful rocks in the country. I’ve been looking forward to the long hike onto the Waves in Southern Utah before we left. I was a bit uneasy when I had found out that only 20 permits are allowed per day. Ten of the permits are distributed months in advance through the internet. The other ten are won through a lottery system at the rangers station the day before. Since we had arrived on a beautiful sunny weekend, our chances of winning this lottery were extremely low. I’m not much for gambling but I had nothing to loose. Jason and I found a primitive campsite very close to the station and the next day we gambled for a permit.

We drove up to the station 15 minutes early and even so we were the last ones to arrive. Unfortunately for someone in the room Jason and I made numbers 10 and 11.  

When the lottery began I was extremely relieved. Worst case scenario, Jason would have loved to enjoy catching up on his football Sunday and I would be able to go.

Lucky for us, we were given the third permit and number 11 was a gentleman who had hiked the waves before. 






So the rest of the day we decided to hike to the Hoodoos in Glen Canyon and went to sleep early so that we can be on our way to the waves at sunrise.














  




























No comments:

Post a Comment